The “bonded warehouse”

olde-hansa

 

“The ‘bonded warehouse’ is the historical name for an old store that was used for storing of goods as well as for wholesale trade, and dates from the 14th century, though it has undergone considerable alterations. The powerful building of the ‘bonded warehouse’, with its exterior dated from the reconstruction in 1656, is one of the chief components of the architectural ensemble in Vanaturg.”

– E. Ederberg, U. Kammal, A. Ristkok, Tallinn, Eesti Riiklik Kirjastus, Tallinn, 1958